1. When the opening song is on point
90 seconds of awesome beats are the perfect thing to get you in the mood for the upcoming episode. Plus, when you hear it again years later, it will be one powerful trip to nostalgia.
2. When you decide on a favourite character
“Well hello there…” There’s always that one character that will mark the entire series for you; make you laugh, cry and dread the thought of anything bad happening to them. But that moment when you decide on your favourite is priceless!
3. When you notice a plot hole
Not much is as annoying when watching an anime as realising that things just aren’t adding up. Worst of all, there’s nothing you can do to fix it…
4. When the dub voice is strange
The character suddenly sounds 20 years older? The villain’s voice makes dogs bark? Yeah, we’ve all been there. And because dubbed versions are in a language that most fans understand, any bad acting is immediately evident.
5. When the animation looks like it was done by toddlers
You can understand why a studio may not have had enough of a budget to make that explosion look real, but you can’t quite understand how one eye could take the place of the opposite ear, or why a character suddenly has three fingers.
6. When you’re watching a badass fight scene
Some tough talk, weapons are drawn, the obligatory wind has arrived, and dangerous music is brewing the background. There is nothing better than fighting scenes done right!
7. When your favourite character dies
Let’s not even go there… What is the point of watching the rest of the series? And why was that other character able to survive a stab wound and a cliff fall?
8. When the main character ‘levels-up’
And you know things are about to go down! The previous 14 minutes were just a build-up to this moment anyway. Fight!
9. When you’re waiting for the next season to start
Sure I could be productive and do something else with my life. OR, I could re-watch the previous season again and spend weeks on an online forum discussing everything that could happen in the next season.
10. When you’re sitting through fillers
I mean who doesn’t want to see 15 episodes of beach trips, festivals, and new characters that will never be seen again?
11. When someone interrupts you while watching anime
Can you not? Please return to whatever it is that you consider a normal life to be and let me decide on who my waifu is.
12. When people ask why you’re watching ‘cartoons’
So it started about 10 years ago with a rainy day and a side of YouTube I had never seen before…
13. When you try to imitate a character in real life
Admit it, you’ve tried the shinobi run. It doesn’t look as cool in real life does it?
14. When you can’t wait for the sub, but don’t know any Japanese
Maybe the eyes will tell me the story. I get the gist, but not why she suddenly grew wings…
15. When the story is too deep
You weren’t expecting to get hurt. You just wanted to relax and crack a smile, not to re-think all of your life choices!
16. When you see spoilers
Tag your spoilers! TAG THEM!
17. When there’s a hot character on screen
Yea s/he’s animated, so what? I don’t care if my friends see me drooling on my computer.
18. When a character you hate is on screen
19. When you can recognise the seiyuus and the production co. without looking it up
Sure, you won’t put it on your resume, but that’s one heck of a skill.
20. When a series ends and you need to get back to reality
I am never ready to return to a life where flashy expressions and costumes are frowned upon.